Sonic Legends is a game art project that focuses on a series of character redesigns for the Sonic The Hedgehog series. This project was made to show my abilities of modelling, sculpting and texturing characters along with proof of flexibility that includes rigging/animation, environments, props and implementation of assets in Unreal Engine/Marmoset Toolbag. This project includes 3 characters: Sonic, Dr. Eggman and Shadow. Each have two poses each, including a running animation for Sonic. A bonus addition is the inclusion of a mini game inspired by the special stages from Sonic The Hedgehog 2.
My name is Sophie Le Blanc, and I’m a final year games art student who is graduating from Teesside University soon! I specialise primarily in stylised character art, though I can be flexible on art style if needed. Currently outside of University, I’m going to be participating in a team game project for Transfuzer as a character artist starting in late May – early June. I will also be beginning personal projects to build my portfolio up.
My software knowledge includes:
- Substance Painter & Designer
- Unreal Engine
- Marmoset Toolbag
- Photoshop & Clip Studio Paint
- Journeyman 2020 – Character Team: Designed Mario and Donkey Kong character models for Mario themed Journeyman projects, as well as putting together the Super Mario style guide for Journeyman 2020.
- Beta Arcade – Team Helheim: Worked as the lead character artist. I co-designed, sculpted, retopologised and textured characters for Unreal Engine implementation. All areas of the character pipeline were completed by scheduled dates, and have experience working with SourceTree.
- Double Eleven – October 2019 (one day): Play tested a game currently in development by Double Eleven, in a two-hour session. I helped the QA team with reporting bugs and crashes in the current build of the game, whilst giving feedback about the game’s controls and user interface.
- Gumshoe Productions – March 2018 – June 2018 (five days): Appeared in crowd scenes for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu during scenes being shot in central London. I followed instructions from the set director(s) on how to perform in various scenarios and staying in line with the rest of the crowd.
- Watches2U – March 2017 (two days): Volunteered at college to work on a web/mobile game concept for the company’s website, whilst working in a team to create 2D art assets and gameplay concepts for the game. I worked from 9am – 5pm over two days and received feedback from the company’s management to help improve the concepts.
- Tokyo Toys June 2015 – July 2015 (2 weeks): Followed instructions on how to help restock the shelves using the store’s magnet mechanism and gained social experience by helping customers find what they need and answer questions relating to the merchandise available. I worked alongside other store employees to help manage the storage room and assist with stocking products on shelves.
Interests and hobbies
Outside of 3D artwork, I enjoy playing games and occassionally doing 2D artwork. I have a lot of of interest in anthropamorphic characters, which is what inspires me to make artwork. Whilst I’m not the most athletic, I do enjoy going for long walks. As for favourite games, these include the Super Smash Bros series, Sonic The Hedgehog series, Klonoa: Door To Phantomile, Undertale/Deltarune, Rivals of Aether, Super Mario Odyssey and Ty The Tasmanian Tiger.